What is the difference between a fruit and a vegetable?
What are 8 #vegetables that start with the letter B?
I’ve posted my answer to this question at the bottom of the page but really, this question raised more questions.
This question raised more questions
At first glance this appears to be a simple question. List 8 vegetables that begin with the letter B. But language and definitions are tricky and this can be especially true with species as they have common names and their proper scientific names in latin. However, this isn’t an article about language but veggies – so really the question that we are forced to ask is –
What is a vegetable?
Watch the video from Oxford University Press that addresses this subject – You can also read their full article, I’ve included a link at the bottom of this page.My answer on quora –
A vegetable in the broadest sense is defined as a plant of part of a plant used as food. A lot of people even consider the following “#fruits” as vegetables – avocado, beans (broad beans), peapods (black-eyed peas), corn kernels, cucumbers, grains, nuts, olives, peppers (bell peppers), pumpkin, squash and tomatoes. Because a fruit may be called a ‘vegetable’ because it is used in savoury rather than sweet cooking.
1. brocolli – Brassica oleracea in the cabbage family
2. brussel sprouts – Brassica oleracea another in the cabbage family
3. brocolli raab – Brassica rapa in the mustard family and turnip family – technically it’s name is rapini but is known as brocolli raab
4. bok choy – Brassica rapa subsp. chinensis in the turnip family
5. beets – Beta vulgaris – beetroot -although you can eat the leaves the actual veggie part that is most commonly used is the root part so here I am not including beet as the name. Plus the leaves of a particular and common variety that is eaten is called Chard
6. bamboo shoots – Bambusa vulgaris that is one type of bamboo and yes I chose that one because it starts with the letter B
7. broad beans – Vicia faba (commonly known as fava beans) – considered a fruit technically
8. batatas (sweet potatoes) – Ipomoea batatas
I kind of feel like 8 is cheating but the other alternative burdock root is not really used in savoury cooking but rather in beverages and as an herbal medicine.Qut a question? Feel free to ask me one on quora or contact me.