Just like spring, it is time to get back to work in our gardens…so much to do! Following is the full list of tasks for the fall garden in text format and following that is a little experiment listing the tasks and featuring some photos from my balcony with titles and music.
1. Gather any remaining seeds. Label and store them in a clean dry container.
2. Harvest any remaining peppers, green tomatoes and other veggies. Make something yummy! Here is an idea, how about a nice mexican green sauce with the green tomatoes, peppers and onions. Make some enchiladas verde.
3. Dig up any rhizomes or bulbs that are frost sensitive. i.e. Dahlias
4. Plant tulips, muscari, narcisscus and other spring bulbs now.
5. Bring in and repot any frost sensitive plants to overwinter indoors such as geraniums, coleus, osteospermum, etc..
6. Clean-up and take in any houseplants, ween them off of direct sun and if possible keep them by a partially open window to make the transition easier.
7. If you want to relocate peonies, sage, lavender or other perenials, transplant them now.
8. Plant chrysanthemum, heather and pansies for fall color to fill in any gaps.
9. You can also plant some new perenials such as lavender or sage to replace unsuccessful plants.
10. Clean-up your pots and beds.
11, Mulch your beds with any of the following: coir, sand, pine needles, peat moss or prepackaged mulch products.
12, Consider starting a small compost pile in a large pot with the waste.